Emergency Supplies Kits
There are several items you should consider stocking for either your work and/or home emergency supply kits: water, food, first aid supplies, clothing and bedding, tools and emergency supplies, and special items. For each kit be sure to:
- Adjust your kit (work and home) based on yours and your family's needs.
- Store your work kit in a convenient place. Store your home kit in an accessible place known to all family members.
- Keep a smaller version of the supplies kit in the trunk of your car.
- Evaluate and re-supply your kit regularly. Re-think your kit and family needs at least once a year (replace batteries, update clothes, etc.).
- Change your stored water and stored food supply every six months so it stays fresh. For better preservation, keep items in airtight bags.
- Ask your physician or pharmacist about storing prescription medications.
- Do not include candles, weapons, toxic chemicals such as household cleaners, or controlled drugs (unless prescribed by a physician).